When you live in an apartment, its been raining for several days, and you have two children, its time to get creative.
Little Cutie received a Nerf Gun Tag Set for her birthday back in January.
Do you believe me when I tell you she was kinda excited?
The Cuties love to play Nerf Tag but there are two issues that occasionally arise: sometimes two girlies running crazy through an apartment isn’t always the most appropriate activity if I’m trying to set the table or work on a quiet activity; and other times, only one Cutie is home and playing tag by yourself simply isn’t very fun.
So I came up with the idea to make a large target we could hang on the wall the girls could use to practice shooting at when they were either alone or needed to play a little more sedately.
Once again, it’s felt to the rescue!
I started off with a large piece of felt and a dowel rod the length of a side. To make a square, you fold your scrap on the diagonal and then cut along the horizontal side. In this case I left about an inch before I made the cut for a pocket seam for the dowel rod.
I then needed several circles in decreasing sizes. The easiest way to make large circles is to tie a piece of string to one end of an unsharpened pencil and the other end of the string to a disappearing ink pen. Hold the pencil in the center of the felt steady in one hand, and rotate the ink pen around in a circle, pulling it tautly while drawing your circle.
Cut out the circles in different colors and then attach them to your background square with a hot glue gun. When working with pieces this large, you can’t make a bead of hot glue all the way around as the glue will cool faster than you can adhere it. Instead, you need to do it in sections no bigger than about 6-9″ at a time.
Once all the circles were glued, I flipped the entire banner over and glued a seam down over the dowel rod. In my particular case, I actually glued it so that I can pull my dowel rod out if I should need to use it for anything else since I haven’t seen them anywhere in Tokyo yet, and this random one happened to have made it over in our shipment somehow!
Then I punched holes in each end using my smallest hole punch. I poked ribbon through the hole and tied them to each end and then tied the two sides together at the top.
The last thing left to do was to add numbers to each of the rings on the bullseye so my Cuties could keep score of how well they shoot. Not that they’re competitive or anything!
And on her very first shot….
And once again, I am pleased to report this entire project was made out of my crafting stash. Although I’m beginning to wonder if I should instead be a little embarrassed that my stash is this ample!